The policies, terms and conditions below are applicable to the NBBJ website located at nbbj.com, meanstheworld.co, any website branded NBBX, or any affiliated network of websites (including any versions optimized for viewing on a wireless or tablet device); all email newsletters published or distributed by NBBJ; all applications published by NBBJ; and all other interactive features, services, and communications provided by NBBJ (“Sites”), however accessed and/or used, that are operated, produced or maintained by NBBJ.
1. Copyright and Ownership. All of the content featured or displayed on the Sites, including without limitation text, graphics, photographs, images, moving images, sound, and illustrations (“Content”), is owned by NBBJ, its licensors, vendors, agents and/or its Content providers. All trademarks, service marks and trade names of NBBJ used herein (including but not limited to: NBBJ name, NBBJ corporate logo, and any other designs, brands and logos) (collectively “Marks”) are trademarks or registered trademarks of NBBJ or its affiliates, partners, vendors or licensors. The Sites, the Marks, the Content and all related rights shall remain the exclusive property of NBBJ or its licensors unless otherwise expressly agreed. You will not remove any copyright, trademark or other proprietary notices from material found on these Sites. You may only use the Sites for the intended purpose for which the Sites are being made available.
2. Site Access License. NBBJ grants you a limited, revocable, non-exclusive, non-transferable license to access and view the Sites and their Content. The Sites and/or any portion of the Sites or their Content may not be copied, reproduced, modified, sold, resold or otherwise exploited for any purpose without NBBJ’s express written consent. You will not access or attempt to access Content on the Sites through any interface except for the publicly provided interfaces provided by NBBJ.
3. Account Registration and Security. You may need to create an account to have access to all of the parts of the Sites. You are entirely responsible for the security and confidentiality of your password and account and you are entirely responsible for any and all activities that occur under your account.
4. Comments and Submissions. By posting or submitting any user Content on our Sites (“User Submissions”), you grant NBBJ a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, fully paid-up worldwide, fully sub-licensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, perform and display the Content in your User Submission and your name, voice, and/or likeness as contained in your User Submission, in any form throughout the world in any media or technology, including all promotion, advertising, marketing, merchandising, publicity and any other ancillary uses thereof, including promotion of NBBJ, and including the unfettered right to sublicense such rights, in perpetuity. Any such User Submissions are deemed non-confidential and NBBJ shall be under no obligation to maintain the confidentiality of any information, in whatever form, contained in any User Submission.
5. Inappropriate Content. You are may not use the Sites to post or send any unlawful, threatening, defamatory, libelous, obscene, pornographic or profane Content or any Content that could be considered a criminal offense or give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any law. You remain solely responsible for the Content of your posts and submissions and NBBJ has no obligation to prescreen any such Content. At any time, NBBJ may, in its sole discretion, take any action it deems necessary to cure or prevent any inappropriate Content or behavior, including without limitation, banning you from leaving comments or participating in our forums and communities and/or the immediate removal of Content from the Sites at any time without notice.
6. Infringement. NBBJ has adopted a policy that provides for the immediate removal of any content that is found to have infringed on the rights of a third party, or that has otherwise violated any intellectual property laws or regulations, or any of the terms and conditions of this Agreement. If you believe any Content infringes a copyright or other intellectual property law, please notify us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Third Party Links. From time to time, the Sites may contain links to web sites that are not owned, operated or controlled by NBBJ or its affiliates. All such links are provided solely as a convenience to you. If you use these links, you will leave the Sites. Neither NBBJ nor any of its affiliates is responsible for any content, materials or other information located on or accessible from any other web site. Neither NBBJ nor any of its affiliates endorse, guarantee or make any representations or warranties regarding any other web sites or any content, materials or other information located or accessible from any other web sites or the results that you may obtain from using any other web sites. If you decide to access any other web sites linked to or from this Sites, you do so entirely at your own risk.
8. Privacy. Data collection and use is governed by
10. General. These terms and conditions are the entire agreement between You and NBBJ and supersede any prior understandings or agreements (written or oral). Any claim or dispute relating to the use of the Sites or their Content is governed by the laws of the state of Washington. You consent to the exclusive jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located in King County, Washington.
Last Updated: April 18, 2014
What Information is Gathered?
We may collect two types of information from you in conjunction with your use of the Sites, personal information and non-personal information. Personal information is information that you may supply to us and which can individually identify you, including, but without limitation, your name, e-mail address, username, telephone number, postal address, billing and contact information (“Personal Information”). Non-personal information includes information that does not personally identify you, but may include, as examples, tracking and usage information about your location, demographics, browser type and version, use of the Service and the Internet (“Non-Personal Information”).
We collect the Personal Information from you in the following circumstances:
If you contact us to apply for employment, we will hold the following information about you:
When you interact with the Sites, we may collect certain information that does not identify you individually, and our servers may automatically keep an activity log of your use of the Sites (“Non-Personal Information”). We may collect and store the following categories of Non-Personal Information:
We may also use “Web Storage” to store data about your use of our Sites. Web Storage is a feature in some browsers that permits websites to store data within your browser rather than using a cookie. This should make this data more secure and make your browser perform better. We do not share or provide information we may store in Web Storage.
How Do We Use Information We Gather?
Our use of your Personal Information is on the basis that (i) it is necessary to conclude or perform a contract with you or for your benefit; (ii) it is in our legitimate interest as part of the efficient and effective operation of our business; or (iii) to comply with a legal obligation to which we are subject.
In other circumstances we will ask for your consent to use your Personal Information, which you may give or withhold as you wish, but if you decide to withhold consent, then this may affect our ability to comply with any request you have made or service you have requested. By sending us Personal Information, including your résumé/CV, to support an application for employment, you consent to our use of the information to process this application; if you withdraw this consent, then you will be of necessity withdrawing your application.
We may use your Personal Information to contact you to tell you about NBBJ’s products and services. This activity is conducted on the basis of our legitimate interests in marketing our business to prospective customers and intermediaries. You can ask us to stop using your information in this way by contacting us as shown in the ‘How to Contact Us’ section below.
We use the Non-Personal Information we gather to help us improve the Sites. We may use the information to perform statistical, marketing analyses and viewing patterns. We may disclose or share Non-Personal Information (or other information, other than Personal Information) in any other manner that we deem appropriate or necessary. We may disclose Non-Personal Information to third parties to help us determine how parts of the Sites are used so we can improve our Sites. We may retain information for a commercially reasonable time for backup, archival, and/or audit purposes.
How Can We Transfer Your Personal Information?
This Service is published in the United States and is targeted to United States citizens and our policies are directed at compliance with those laws. Your information collected through the Sites may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which NBBJ, its clients, affiliates or service providers maintain facilities. NBBJ, its clients, affiliates, or service providers may transfer information that we collect about you, including Personal Information across borders and from your country or jurisdiction to other countries or jurisdictions around the world. If you are located in the United States or other regions with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from US law, please note that we may process or transfer information, including Personal Information, to a country and jurisdiction that does not have the same data protection laws as your jurisdiction. However, in doing so, we must rely on one or more valid legal grounds. The grounds we may rely upon include:
(a) your consent to particular transfer or processing activities, for example where you have consented to allowing us to consider you as a candidate for a job on one of our Sites;
(b) the transfer or processing is necessary for purposes of our legitimate interests as a business (except where your interests or fundamental rights override these), for example it is within our legitimate interest to use your Personal Information to prevent or detect fraud or abuses of our Sites;
(c) the transfer or processing is required in order for us to comply with our legal obligations, for example we have a duty to investigate and respond to complaints made against us and may need to process your Personal Information as part of such investigation;
(d) if you are a UK employee, client, vendor or consultant, because processing your Personal Information is necessary for the performance of our contract with you; or
(e) where we have entered into legally binding agreements which comply with applicable law.
How We Transfer International Personal Data
Participating organizations are deemed to have “adequate” privacy protection for the transfer of personal information outside of the EU under the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”). For Privacy Shield purposes, NBBJ refers to NBBJ LP and “Other Covered Entities” refers to each of the following: NBBJ Design, LLP; NBBJ Partnership LLP; NBBJ Architecture PLLC; NBBJ LLC; NBBJ Design LLC; NBBJ Hawaii, Inc.; NBBJ Architects of New Jersey, LLC; NBBJ East, LLC; NBBJ East Limited Partnership; and NBBJ North Carolina, Inc.
As a result, EU member state requirements for prior approval of international data transfers to NBBJ and its Other Covered Entities are waived. In cases of onward transfers of data, received pursuant to the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield, NBBJ is potentially liable under the GDPR.
In compliance with the Privacy Shield Principles, NBBJ commits to resolve complaints about our collection or use of your personal information. EU individuals with inquiries or complaints regarding our Privacy Shield policy should first contact NBBJ at: email@example.com or by mail at NBBJ LP, 223 Yale Ave. N, Seattle, Washington 98109; Attention: Assistant General Counsel.
NBBJ has further committed to refer unresolved Privacy Shield complaints to JAMS Privacy Shield Program, an alternative dispute resolution provider located in the [United States]. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your complaint from us, or if we have not addressed your complaint to your satisfaction, please visit https://www.jamsadr.com/eu-us-privacy-shield for more information or to file a complaint. The services of JAMS Privacy Shield Program are provided at no cost to you.
How Long Will We Retain Your Personal Information?
NBBJ’s Compliance with Laws
NBBJ complies with data and privacy laws which apply to us. It is your responsibility to familiarize yourself with those laws and any exceptions to them. That said, privacy laws in various jurisdictions may change from time to time, and NBBJ has no obligation to abide by privacy laws in countries having no jurisdiction over us or our business.
NBBJ’s Commitment to Confidentiality and Security
NBBJ is committed to safeguarding all Personal Information we receive from you and ensuring that it remains confidential and secure. We take all reasonable measures to ensure that personal privacy is respected. All data is stored in written or electronic form on our servers and computers and in or various offices. We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your Personal Information from misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, loss or corruption. We also restrict access to Personal Information to those staff members and third parties with a need to know in order to legally process your Personal Information as provided in this policy.
Rights Specific to European Union Residents
The following applies to data collected from individuals residing within the European Union.
For Users accessing the Sites within the European Union (“EU”), all processing of Personal For Users accessing the Sites within the European Union (“EU”), all processing of Personal Information is performed in accordance with privacy rights and regulations contained in the EU General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679. NBBJ processes Personal Information as a Controller, as defined in the GDPR. If you are a resident of EU, you have the following rights with respect to your Personal Information:
(a) Obtain a copy. You have the right to obtain a copy of the Personal Information we hold about you by contacting our Data Governance and Privacy Advisor as directed below.
(b) Correct your Personal Information. You may request that we correct any inaccurate information or complete any information that is incomplete by contacting our Data Governance and Privacy Advisor as directed below. If we disagree with you, we will advise you and note the disagreement in our records.
(c) Withdraw your consent to processing. You may withdraw your consent to our processing of your Personal Information by contacting our Data Governance and Privacy Advisor as directed below. Any withdrawal does not affect the lawfulness of our processing based upon your prior consent. Any withdrawal of consent may impact your ability to benefit from certain services that require processing of your Personal Information.
(d) Object to processing (in particular to use of Personal Information for the purposes of direct marketing). You may request that we cease all processing of your Personal Information by contacting our Data Governance and Privacy Advisor as directed below.
(e) Erase. You may request that we erase your Personal Information by contacting our Data Governance and Privacy Advisor as directed below. We will comply with your request provided there is no lawful reason preventing us from doing so.
(f) File a Complaint. If you have any questions or complaints regarding how we are processing or holding your Personal Information, please contact our Data Governance and Privacy Advisor as directed below. This does not limit your right to address your concerns directly with your local data protection authority.
(g) Portability. If you have consented to processing of your Personal Information and we process it using automated means, you have the right to receive your Personal Data in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format. You also have the right to transmit your Personal Data to another controller without hindrance.
How to Contact Us